Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 22, 2019

A close call


To avoid jinxing it I will acknowledge the most exciting aspect of the M's last three games.  Instead I will complain, once again, about the poor quality of relief pitching.  After watching KC and Baltimore I have to concede the ability to hold leads, much get saves is a disappearing talent in MLB, at least in its worst American League teams.

I believe in analytics, but whatever the numbers, I think the old baseball wisdom to throw strikes and avoid walking batters still holds.  What is this that escapes Cory Gearrin's consciousness?  More than that, what is it that pitching coach Paul Davis can't see?  If the definition of insanity is truly doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result, Davis qualifies for an involuntary commitment at the nearest psych ward.

Nothing personal, I really wish him well, but Gearrin is not big-league ready.  I hope he gets there, but Davis keeps putting him in situations  to fail... and he does.  Single handedly he almost gave away last night's game.  Why is he up here?  He needs to figure this out somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment