Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Shelf life of mortal ballplayers


I've never been an Ichiro fan, but from his arrival in Seattle I've admired his discipline, focus and hard work.  His ability to turn any at bat or any pitch into a basehit is extraordinary.  I saw him get a hit off a pitch that bounced in front of the home plate once.

But as much as we know he resists it, the time all ballplayers dread, may have arrived for Ichiro.  For all his clever and creative technique he has not looked good at all this spring. He's batting .125 (1 for 8) and 0 for 7.  His one hit, a bloop single to right, was worrisome in its own right.  He swung hard, I expected a line drive, but it was a soft humpback.

I wish him success on the trip to Japan.  I also believe it may be the perfect place to bid baseball sayonara.

.....

Note: the Bellarmine Prep Lions defeated Hazen 57-33 in the first round of the Washington State 4A high school Women's Basketball Championship.  They face perennial Spokane powerhouse, Central Valley, tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment