Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Things I Wish I’d Said and Why

I Wish I’d Said This:

In Carol De Giere’s biography of composer and lyricist, Stephen Schwartz (Godspell, Wicked) on getting started: I tend to follow the “path of least resistance,” rather than trying to write sequentially. When starting the score for a show, I tend to start with the song that seems easiest to me, the one that comes most naturally. Often, it’s trying to get at the emotional or philosophical center of the story… but not always. It’s most important just to open the door and step into the show somewhere. (Defying Gravity, p. 299)

Why?

Schwartz captures an important principle here, planning is hard enough without having to make it harder by taking on the toughest pieces first. What he expresses is a keen sense of priority. Something’s have to be done right away. They are so critical to the organization’s sustained fulfillment of its mission there is no choice. Most of us can figure that one out as priority number one. What next? Finding the “dunk shots,” or “low hanging fruit,” is smart strategic planning. Just getting started is reassuring; getting quick results is motivating (and the perfect antidote to skepticism and cynicism). I look at the easy ones as portals, their early achievement opens the door to getting started on other objectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment