Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Prediction time


I've never been very good at sports predictions, but that's part of the opening day ritual, even though the Mariners have a two-day head start.  My focus has been so concentrated on the Ms this spring I can't say anything for the rest of the teams, you'll have to look elsewhere for those forecasts.

General impression:  this is not a bad team.  It's probably a winning team.  Not by much and not consistently, but there are some good pieces and promising signe amidst a few unfinished components.

My guess... just short of 90 wins.  Never in contention for even a wildcard play-off slot, but just a tad better than average. This is what I call a short streaky team.  4 wins here, 3 losses there.  Promising, but never delivering big time.  Gotta pick a number? 88.

Almost out of contention by July 31 trade-deadline, so they'll be selling and buying.  I'm sure Encanscion will be traded, maybe Bruce, maybe Healy.   If Healy can start getting on-base and keep his power numbers where they've been, he stays.  If Leake keeps doing what he's doing he'll be very attractive on the market, maybe LeBlanc, too... and if these young arms in the minors grow up, the back-end of the rotation is easily replacable.

What would they buy?  I'm not convinced Narvaez is the catcher who fits there needs.  If they can get a good one who can hit and catch, they'd be wise to do it.  Another solid starter would be nice.  I suspect the bullpen will need more talent if team is going to “step up" for 2020.

I see 17 wins for Gonzalez, 14 for Kikuchi and Felix gone.  Strickland will get saves... and some impressive ones.  He's got something to prove and the heart to do it.

My guess is Haniger has a good year, but not the super breakthrough some expect.  He'll have a lot of pressure on him and not a lot of experience.  This will be a good learning year for him.  I see some bouncebsck in Gordon and Seager, when he returns.  I'm hoping for the best from Mallex, but he's going to have new pressure on him, too... I could envision some struggles.  I am excited about Santana... he's going to produce and there will be temptations to trade him, but he could be a solid piece of this line-up.  And if Healy can replace getting called out on strikes with hits, the Ms could have a lethal one-through-five offense.

I like Beckham.  Good guy, decent player, but I don't know if he is a long term solution at SS.  And the future, Crawford in Tacoma, does not impress me, yet.

The old baseball wisdom of being strong up the middle, with Narvaez, Beckham and M.Smith in those spots, concerns me.

Lots of minor league prospects brewing in Tacoma and Little Rock.  Get ready to see them midsummer .

So, 88 wins, fourth place ahead of Texas in AL West.

Play ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment